Mr. Vaughn, a Principal of Jordan IP Law (JIPL), has broad experience in IP
matters, with an emphasis on patent and trademark strategy, procurement,
enforcement, licensing, and opinions. He is Head of the Firm’s Trademarks and Design
Group. Todd counsels clients in worldwide acquisition, preparation, and prosecution of
patents in the mechanical, electrical, software, chemical, and electro-mechanical arts.
His prosecution expertise includes all areas of automotive systems, software, household
appliances, power conversion, consumer goods, industrial tools, industrial machinery
and equipment, cutting tools, mechanical presses, cutlery, medical devices, printers,
sporting goods, food processing, nano-technology, green/clean technology, image
devices, and green/clean technology.
Todd was formerly a Patent Examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, where
he evaluated patent applications for patentability in the mechanical arts, including
industrial tools and hand tools. He was formerly an adjunct professor at the George
Washington University (GWU), teaching the fundamentals of litigation in the College of
Professional Studies. He has traveled extensively abroad to conduct seminars related
to U.S. Patent and Trademark law.
● Juris Doctor, Texas Southern University, 1997
● B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1993
● District of Columbia, Attorney-At-Law
● State of Texas (Inactive)
● Supreme Court of the United States of America
● United States Patent and Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney
• Assc’n Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)
• American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
• International Trademark Association (INTA)
• District of Columbia Bar (Intellectual Property Law Section)
• Intellectual Property Owners (IPO)
• National Bar Association (NBA)
Published Works/Speaking Engagements
• Panelist, “The Other Patent Type: Design Patent Considerations for Companies,"
National Bar Association Commercial Law Section, New Orleans, LA (February
• Panelist, “Developing a robust IP strategy from the supply chain and academic
research to strategic issues," Automotive Legal and IP Summit USA, Ann Arbor,
MI (September 2019).
• Presented "Claims Drafting for Beginners, 16th Annual Independent Inventors
Conference, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA (August 2014).
• Panelist, "Impact of AIA, CPC, AFCP, QPIDS, Examiner Interviews, USPTO
Satellite Offices," Supervisory Patent Examiners and Classifiers Organization,
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA (May 2014).
• Presented "Patent Law Primer," Dominion Bar Association CLE, Richmond, VA
• "Navigating Startups Through China's IP Landscape,” pp. 17-18, Modern DC
Business (Spring 2010).
• "The China Affair: Protecting Your IP Assets from Knockoffs,” pp. 36-37, Supplier
Global Resource (Jul/Aug 2007).
• “Protecting Your Intellectual Property,” pp. 24-26, Supplier Global
• “Patent Protection 101,” pp. 61, Supplier Global Resource (July/Aug 2005).
• Member, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
• Member, USA Track & Field (USATF)
Todd is father to one daughter, Hailey Anne. He is an avid cyclist and wine enthusiast.
A former personal trainer and high school track and field All-American, he enjoys
various sports, such as American football, soccer/football, and track and field.